Smartworld successfully implemented 24/7 IT Managed Services in ADEC
The Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) seeks to develop education and educational institutions in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, implement innovative educational policies, plans and programs that aim to improve education and support educational institutions and staff to achieve the objectives of national development in accordance with the highest international standards. Established in accordance with law No. 24 of 2005, issued by His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, the UAE President, the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces and the Ruler of Abu Dhabi, ADEC’s mission is to produce world-class learners who embody a strong sense of culture and heritage and are prepared to meet global challenges. The Chairman of ADEC is H.H. Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces and the Vice-Chairman is H.H. Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, Minister of Presidential Affairs.
In line with its vision, ‘Education first,’ the council has expressed the urgency to adopt new technologies and include these into their operations. ADEC is divided into five integral divisions—P-12 Policy, Private Schools and Quality Assurance, School Operations, Higher Education and Support Services. All five divisions had to streamline its operations across one unified system, which in turn, could help drive in a reduction in operational costs. Looking at a business perspective, ADEC presented the following challenges;
- Drive in more focus on the council’s core competencies and objectives.
- Develop an ‘easy to manage’ IT system.
- Reduce high management and operational costs.
- High Profile Users who have high Service Level Agreement (SLA) expectations.
- Managing the interconnectivity of offices in various locations.
- Address the high demand for IT services.
- Designation of a Person of Contact (POC) who will be responsible for all IT concerns and multi- vendor approach.
- Implementation of IT best practices to help improve service management.
ADEC also presented a series of challenges from a technical perspective. These include;
- Uncontrolled and unmeasured variables and the SLA.
- Different vendors supporting different systems used by ADEC.
- Technical and Niche expertise and competencies.
- Direct access to world class capabilities.
- The presence of Mission Critical Operation and Sensitive Data.
- No ITSM Methodology and Standards.
Etisalat, which is ADEC’s telecommunications provider, selected Smartworld, one of the leading master systems integrator and smart solutions provider in the Middle East, for the project. Smartworld immediately dispatched a team to learn more about the council’s operations, IT systems and how each office connects (operations wise) with each other. After this was done, Smartworld recommended the installation and implementation of a full Onsite 24/7 IT Managed Services Function, which would compliant with Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Version 3. Smartworld’s proposed solution offered ADEC with a very efficient SLA, covering 99 per cent availability for local and remote operations, with the costs being paid per month without any hidden costs. The solution to be installed was customized according to ADEC’s 41 IT resources, which consists of offices in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and the Western Region.
Post implementation, ADEC has revealed an increase in productivity and high improvement in efficiencies. Once the Onsite 24/7 IT Managed Services Function system went live, ADEC was able to gain the following advantages;
- Reduced controlled operating costs.
- An increase in customer satisfaction—posting 90 per cent.
- Clearer focus on ADEC’s core competencies and business objectives.
- Easier and more direct access to exceptional capabilities and skills.
- Free internal resources for other purposes and business enhancements.
- Strategic advantages gained from maximized restructuring.
- Availability of capital funds available for non-IT related projects.
- Risk sharing through Accountable Service Provider (ASP).